Rolette Man Taken into Custody


Rolette County 911 dispatch received a call during the early morning hours Tuesday regarding an armed individual in the City of Rolette, in Rolette County.

The Caller advised that her husband, a middle aged male, was armed and making threats. The caller was able to exit the house unharmed with her minor child.

Rolette City Police Department responded and made initial contact and observed that the reporting party and her child had exited the home; they were taken to safety.

The Officer had visual confirmation of a male with a firearm standing outside the front door of the residence.

After multiple commands had been issued to lay down the firearm, the individual became agitated and went back into the residence and refused to come out. He continued to make threats.

Multiple agencies, including the Rolette City Police Department, Rolette County Sherriff’s Department, Rolla Police Department, and North Dakota B.C.I., North Dakota State Patrol, Bottineau County Sheriff’s Department, Bureau of Indian Affairs and Belcourt Police Officers, City of Rugby Police Department, U.S. Border Patrol, and other surrounding City and County agencies, as well as Emergency Response Services including ambulance and fire department, responded and secured the perimeter around the residence. The SWAT team from the Minot Police Department was briefed and it was decided that they would assist.

Adjacent properties were promptly evacuated.

The coordination, cooperation and assistance of these officers from surrounding areas, responding to provide backup for local law enforcement, cannot be praised enough in these situations.

The Minot Police Department SWAT team was dispatched and arrived on scene to assist in attempting to de-escalate the situation. The situation was successfully contained to the residence for a number of hours with continued efforts towards a voluntary surrender.

The individual did discharge a firearm at law enforcement striking the armored SWAT vehicle. There were no injuries to law enforcement or members of the public as a result of these actions.

The individual did eventually attempt to flee the residence to avoid being taken into custody. He was intercepted by law enforcement at this time while trying to get to his vehicle.

Non-lethal means were successfully utilized by the SWAT team to subdue the suspect and take him into custody without further incident.

The situation is actively being investigated and information is still being gathered by law enforcement.

There is no danger to the public and no significant injuries were sustained by Law Enforcement, the public or the individual now in custody.