Fargo Cass Public Health, along with Fargo and West Fargo police, recently conducted tobacco compliance checks at businesses across the metro. The intent is to ensure tobacco retailers are not selling any tobacco products to minors.
The compliance checks were performed in Fargo on September 17, and in West Fargo the following day. In Fargo, 54 businesses were checked and 51 passed, resulting in a success rate of 94 percent. In West Fargo, 15 businesses were checked and 13 passed, which resulted in an 87 percent compliance rate.
The following businesses failed:
- Arco, located at 3202 33rd Street South, Fargo - first fail in 12 months
- Cashwise, located at 1401 33rd Street South, Fargo - first fail in 12 months
- Discount Smoke Shop, located at 2434 South University Drive, Fargo - first fail in 12 months
- Dollar General, located at 425 32nd Avenue Northwest, West Fargo - first fail in 12 months
- Family Dollar, located at 144 Main Avenue East, West Fargo - first fail in 12 months.
In both Fargo and West Fargo, the penalty for the first failure in 12 months is one year probation.