Governor Tim Walz, on Friday, announced the authorization of emergency assistance for five Minnesota counties that sustained damage during spring flooding between March 9 and May 7, 2020. Hubbard, Kittson, Marshall, Norman, and Polk counties experienced a combination of high soil-moisture levels from heavy rain and winter snowfall. Primary damage was to township and county roads.
“One Minnesota means we come together to provide support when we see a community in need,” said Governor Walz. “We will work closely with these counties to provide disaster assistance and ensure they quickly recover from this flooding.”
Spring flooding is a reoccurring issue in these counties. For the fourth time in two years, floodwaters cut off the city of Oslo in Marshall County. Polk County had the most widespread damage, with 26 townships impacted. All five county boards of commissioners declared local emergencies and submitted requests for state disaster assistance for eligible costs. A state/county preliminary damage assessment on June 23 identified more than $1.8 million in eligible damages across all five counties.
This authorization by the Governor allows the State Disaster Assistance Contingency Account to cover 75% of eligible costs, which totals an estimated $1.4 million for all five counties. The individual counties would be responsible for the remaining 25%.
The Department of Public Safety division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management will work with Hubbard, Kittson, Marshall, Norman, and Polk County officials to provide assistance as directed by the Governor.