The City of West Fargo Special Assessment Commission is scheduled to hold a public hearing 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 18, and 5:30 p.m. Monday, Aug. 31, in the Commission Chambers of West Fargo City Hall. During this meeting, the Special Assessment Commission will hear objections from property owners of property located within improvement districts for the following projects:
- 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 18
- Project No. 1314 – Eagle Run Plaza Sixth Addition
- Project No. 1318 – Halverson’s Industrial Park Second Addition
- Project No. 4064 – Halverson’s Pond
- Project No. 2240 – Eighth Avenue NW and 26th Street NW Paving
- Project No. 3002 – Pioneer Place Alley Utility Improvements
- West Fargo Park District improvements No. 2017-2 and 2019-1
- 5:30 p.m. Monday, Aug. 31
- Project No. 1305 – The Wilds Ninth Addition
- Project No. 1315 – Westview Third Addition
- Project No. 1319 – Geller’s and Meadowridge Area Sewer Improvements
- Project No. 2241 – Fifth Street W. Extension (27th to 28th Avenues W.)
- Project No. 2243 – Ninth Street E. and 13th Avenue E. Intersection
- Project No. 2244 – Sheyenne Street Reconstruction (13th Avenue W. to Beaton Drive)
- Project No. 2251 – 13th Avenue E. Reconstruction (12th to 17th Street E.)
- Project No. 2253 – Pinewood and Goldenwood Street Overlay
- Project No. 4065 – Gateway West Storm Sewer
The Special Assessment Commission published the list of proposed special assessments and opportunity to attend the public hearing and submit an objection in the Wednesday legal section of the The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead. During the public hearing, property owners may attend and submit their objection either in writing or by voicing their objection at the hearing. Following the public hearing, the Special Assessment Commission may alter the assessment allocations or confirm the list as it was published based upon information, evidence and objections presented at the public hearing.
After the Special Assessment Commission public hearing, a notice of confirmation and advertising of a West Fargo City Commission public hearing and appeal opportunity will be published in the legal section of The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead. These public hearing and appeal opportunities are slated for Monday, Sept. 21, 2020, and Monday, Oct. 5, 2020, West Fargo City Commission meetings. Individuals owning property within the special assessment district who object to the special assessment allocations to their property will again have an opportunity to file a written appeal. Those who submit a written appeal are able to present their appeal during the West Fargo City Commission public hearing on the matter.
To file an appeal, a property owner must submit their protest in writing to Tina Fisk, City Administrator (tina [dot] fiskwestfargond [dot] gov
or Attn: Special Assessment Protest, 800 Fourth Ave. E., Suite 1, West Fargo, ND 58078). The appeal must be in writing and include the names of all owners of the property, the property’s address and reference the improvement district being appealed. Only those who submit a written appeal are able to protest at the public hearing before the City Commission.
At the conclusion of the public hearing, the West Fargo City Commission may determine if additional steps are required to determine the special assessment allocation, or confirm the special assessment list. If a landowner disagrees with the decision of the West Fargo City Commission, they may appeal to a district court. Following the confirmation of the special assessment list, the principle amount of the special assessment due can be paid without interest for 10 days. After the 10 days, the balance due is subject to interest.
To learn more about the special assessment projects, sign up for alerts and check the special assessment calendar for upcoming meetings and public hearings, visit https://www.westfargond.gov/267/Special-Assessments.