Fargo firefighters responded to a report of a strong gas odor coming from a senior living apartment building at 6:11 p.m. this evening at the Riverview Apartment Complex located at 5300 12th Street South. When firefighters arrived on scene, they were notified that it might be a possible fire located on an exterior deck. Fire crews responded to the far eastside of the complex and were met by a Riverview staff member that stated that she had located the fire and had attempted to use a fire extinguisher to extinguish the fire located in the mechanical room.   

Fire crews forced entry into the building and began attacking the fire. The main body of the fire was located in the courtyard near the natural gas meter.  The fire had extended into the exterior walls and the attic area. Fire crews extinguished the interior and exterior fires but were unable to extinguish the fire located near the natural gas meter until the natural gas supply was terminated.  Fire crews remained on scene and conducted an extensive overhaul of the affected areas.

The fire forced the evacuation of 24 units. All residents were able to self-evacuate.

Natural gas leaking from near the gas meter entered the building and was ignited in a nearby mechanical room.  The fire is being classified as accidental.

No further information is available at this time.