University of North Dakota men’s hockey head coach Brad Berry is a finalist for the Spencer Penrose Award again. The award is presented annually to the CCM/AHCA Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Coach of the Year. He is one of eight head coaches to be selected as a finalist for the award. The winner will be announced on Wednesday, April 6 after a vote by the 59 NCAA Division I head coaches.
This year there are three finalists who have previously won the award, Brad Berry of North Dakota (2020), Mike Hastings of Minnesota State (2015 and 2021), and Rand Pecknold of Quinnipiac (2016).
Berry is in his seventh year leading UND and is a five-time finalist for the award (2015, 2016, 2020, 2021, 2022). He currently has the fourth best winning percentage in school history and has won the Herb Brooks NCHC Coach of the Year Award four times. Berry has also led the Fighting Hawks to three straight Penrose Cups (regular season NCHC championships).
2021-22 AHCA Men's Ice Hockey Spencer Penrose Award Finalists
- Brad Berry, North Dakota, NCHC COY
- David Carle, Denver, NCAA Semifinalist
- Mike Hastings, Minnesota State, CCHA COY/NCAA Semifinalist
- Jerry Keefe, Northeastern, Hockey East COY
- Eric Lang, American International, Atlantic Hockey COY
- Bob Motzko, Minnesota, Big Ten COY/NCAA Semifinalist
- Mel Pearson, Michigan, NCAA Semifinalist
- Rand Pecknold, ECAC COY