Bodycam footage reveals moment Mohamad Barakat shoots officers, bystander in Fargo

North Dakota Attorney General Drew Wrigley | Photo by Ty Schonert
North Dakota Attorney General Drew Wrigley | Photo by Ty Schonert

(FARGO) – The deadly July 14 shooting by Mohamad Barakat of Fargo Police Officer Jake Wallin, along with the injuries to officers Andrew Dotas and Tyler Hawes, and citizen Karlee Koswick, all happened within a span of just under two minutes. 

New bodycam footage released Thursday shows the encounter Fargo Police had with Barakat on the afternoon of Friday, July 14 in downtown Fargo, in the vicinity of 25th Street and 9th Avenue South.

When gunfire rang out, Officers Dotas and Hawes were struck “immediately with multiple rounds” from Barakat’s weapon, according to North Dakota Attorney General Drew Wrigley. Wallin, who had been on the force for less than four months, was struck by a single round from Barakat’s weapon.

The bystander, Karlee Koswick, was shot, Wrigley said, after the officers were shot.

“When Robinson is behind the vehicle calling in, Karlee got up, at some point, and tried to run,” he said. “Which drew Barakat’s attention for just a moment, and he shoots her.”

Robinson shot 31 rounds in the gunfight, 21 of them which struck Barakat. Five of those rounds were used to neutralize the suspect.

North Dakota Bureau of Criminal Investigation Special Agent Casey Miller told WDAY Radio that Barakat shot a total of 44 rounds from his .223 weapon, and it’s believed that one round from his 9mm handgun was also discharged. All weapons were lawfully possessed by Barakat.

The firearms were not visible to law enforcement or bystanders, Wrigley said, because Barakat’s vehicle’s back windows were spray painted black and some firearms were in a black suitcase.

“Nobody was in a position to see that gun until he came out of the window,” Wrigley said, noting that Officer Robinson was about 70 feet away from Barakat at the time of the shooting.

Wrigley said the other bodycam footage will be available at a later time, as the investigation is still active and ongoing.