(Lakota, ND) — An 85-year-old Lakota man is dead after suffering second and third degree burns to his body.
According to Nelson County Sheriff Kurt Schwind, the incident happened Friday afternoon, shortly after the lunch hour. Reports say 85-year-old Keith Paulsen, of Lakota, left his nursing home facility in Lakota to have a cigarette. A fire subsequently started on the ground near Paulsen. Schwind said Paulsen attempted to put the fire out with his feet. He then jumped on his scooter, and then his pant leg caught fire, Schwind said.
Paulsen was transported initially to CHI St. Alexius in Devils Lake, before being airlifted to a burn center in St. Paul, Minn. His obituary states Paulson died at Regions Hospital in St. Paul on Friday, October 6.
Schwind said an autopsy will be completed at the University of North Dakota Pathology Lab in Grand Forks.
The incident is under investigation.