Fargo Police Department issue tips on reporting financial crimes

Photo by: WDAY Radio Staff
Photo by: WDAY Radio Staff

(Fargo, ND) -- If you're the victim of a financial crime such as theft, forgery or fraud, where the crime happened is important when it comes to what agency will handle your case.

The Fargo Police Department says if your incident happened online, including via email, over the phone or by text message, it is a federal crime. Authorities say you should report the crime to the Federal Trade Commission or, in the case of identity theft, at identitytheft.gov.

The FTC is specially equipped to handle these crimes and will also assist in creating a recovery plan and help you put that plan into action.

If your incident happened at a physical location in The City of Fargo, FPD says they will investigate the crime, which should be reported to the Red River Regional Dispatch Center at (701) 451-7660.